Wednesday, May 23, 2012

To the Big Apple!





Been waiting my whole life to finally write a post like that, and the day has finally arrived when I'm going to NYC! :D 

The past few weeks have been a mad flurry of emotions. From visiting one of the prettiest city in the world, San Francisco, to returning back to fort worth and settling all that last minute packing, to flying off to Houston to meet up with babyboy, to finally spending the night in Houston awaiting that flight that will bring me to that city which I've always dreamed of visiting. 

Had a 12pm flight to Houston this morning, and got a lift to the airport from karen, not forgetting malu who had woken up bright and early just so we could have breakfast! :) Went to the corner bakery cafe, and had ourselves some panini. Awesome breakfast food to start the day! By the time we were done with breakfast, we just had enough time to wander around the area and then it was time for me to leave for the airport. 
We hugged and said our goodbyes, and it wasn't until I was on the plane that all my emotions started spurting out. I had to be that retarded tourist that wears sunglasses on board the plane because I didn't want anyone to see my puffy eyes. It was a really sad goodbye, because looking out the window as my plane took off, all I could think of was 5 months before, when I first landed here. Fort worth was a foreign city, it didn't take my breath away the first time, unlike cities like San Fran, but I grew to love it so much over the past 5 months. And its more than just the city, but the friends that I've met here. They have helped forged some of the most unforgettable memories in my college life, and for once in my life, i truly felt what it is like to enjoy my college life. There was a healthy balance, something which I could have never achieved back home. Then I started thinking of all the awesome people that I've met here, and how they've all been so welcoming and friendly, and it wasn't easy at all, having to say goodbye to all of that, that life which I enjoy so much and would give anything to turn the clock back again. 

Years ago, when I had first started studying hard for A levels, I remembered the very reason why I studied so hard, and exchange was one of my goals in life, to have this overseas experience, and I can say I'm truly blessed for I do not believe that I would have gotten a better exchange had I chosen anywhere else but TCU. Sometimes, our choices in life may not seem the best at the moment, but they all happen for a reason, and had I not been guided to selecting TCU as my exchange choice, I would have never met these fantastic friends today, and that, that would have been my greatest regret. 

As fort worth slowly loomed into the distance, I fell asleep to the whirring of the plane engine, and 15 minutes later, the captain announced our arrival into Houston. I immediately headed for the restroom upon landing to freshen up. babyboy's plane had already landed by the time I arrived, and it took him a full hour to get through international immigration. When he walked through those gates, all I could think of was how much I missed him. Emotionally overwhelmed again, I haven't seen him in 5 months, and for those who think skype counts, it doesn't. Its a completely different feeling. He has slimmed down so much over the past 5 months, and different as he looks (in a fnatastically awesome way), he was still the same as I remembered. :) 
The shuttle took us to our hotel, and we had chinese takeout. Pretty big portions but yummy nonetheless. I missed having these simple meals with him so much, I was all smiles tonight. The 25-hour plane ride zapped all that energy outta him, and he fell into a deep sleep straight after dinner. I, on the other hand, just enjoy the presence of him beside me once again, haven't had this in 5 months, and oh how much I miss it. So I got down to editing photos for SF, and as much as I really wanted to do a long entry on SF (which I eventually will when I get back home), a grand total of 4 hours later, I'm only done editing 1/4 of the pictures.

Golden Gates at the Golden Hour.

SF definitely deserves more than just a single picture, with a few liners. Its a beautiful city, and it allowed me to learn so much about myself as well. While this trip may have been a part of my desire to travel to every single state in the USA, it was also a trip of self-discovery, and its amazing what one can derive from such travels. Its truly opened my eyes to so many things, and all the experiences which I come across are the best souvenirs that I could bring home from my time spent here in the USA. Its been a fun ride, but it doesn't end here. 

I'm guessing I wouldn't have much time to blog for the next 3 weeks, but oh boy, will I have many pictures and stories to share upon getting home. I have no intention of neglecting this space again, which I have done so repeatedly. Its a great way to remember all these tiny details that helped forge so many beautiful memories, and there is no way I'm going to let those go, not without some form of record to help me relieve these moments years down the road. 

No comments: