Thursday, May 10, 2012

truly brain dead.

I cannot understand why I feel so mentally exhausted after my papers today, I have had to survive 3 papers in a single day, each with easily 10x more content than the exam I've had to take today. So, I have arrived at the conclusion that over the past 4 months, my brain has truly gone on a holiday. It has not been worked, not to say that the syllabus here isn't challenging, but it has not been pushed to its maximum capabilities like back home. Lazy brain!

But yeah, two papers down! Only started on my sex&violence exam this morning, and worked through all the way till the very last 15 minutes. I'm going to miss this course a lot, its been a really fun module, not to mention the amount of movies we have watched. Not only films, but TV series as well, and considered them from an intellectual viewpoint. Its like asian horror all over again, taking something so commercialized and entertaining, and applying theories/concepts to them. I like! 

As usual, I was the last one to submit my exam. Students here complete their exams as if they only have an half hour timespan. Before I have even begun shading on my scantron, zoom, first student leaves his/her seat, and is out the door. It is either I am just extremely slow when it comes to these sort of things, or I just wanna appreciate having spare time to leisurely check through my answers. This is a privilege that I have not savored since I graduated from primary school. It is only in those rare exams that I have spare time. Often, I am rushing against the clock, writing until my hands are so cramped up I cannot even release my pen after the time is up. 

But being the last student today was good too, cos I had a little time to talk with the professor. He asked if I enjoyed the class, and did I learn much. Is he joking? I adored his class, and I am still so grateful to 4 months ago, when I sent him that email, pleading him to let me join his class, and he agreed. This was a module I would not have missed for the world! I also enjoy his teaching style a lot, he brings in many relevant examples, and always has supporting videos to reinforce his points. He also has a quirky sense of humor, and I can safely say I looked forward to every Wednesday's lesson, even though I know how much I hate afternoon classes. 


Headed back to the library after, and I had 2 hours before my next paper. Never felt more brain dead in my life. I stared and stared at my notes, but my eyes just seem to glaze past them. My brain was refusing all that information, and then I realized why. Low on energy. Ran over to the cafe to grab sugared tea and then my brain cooperated a little better after. 

Intercultural communications started off great! Jeff (Papa Smurf, as he likes us to call him) was awesome, but he fell sick halfway through. :( It was real sad that he couldn't continue taking our class, but we got another equally qualified professor. It was a fun class, but night classes were never my thing. Given that Wednesdays were always my longest days, a 6.30pm class was no fun at all, I was often exhausted and cranky after a long day. 
This is also the class that I had worked on 2 papers, only to be told that we would just be given As. Not that As are not awesome, but if I had known, I wouldn't have invested so much time and effort into it. Perhaps that time could have been spent otherwise. So, I concluded, I only like an easy A if I were given feedback or validation for my efforts. 

I had expected between 60-75 questions for the exams, but was shocked to realized it was a 100-question exam. OMG. No joke sitting through 100 question. By 50, all the words were mushed together, I couldn't make sense of the sentences, and all the theories were just swirling around in my mind. It was painful, and I felt myself zoning out so many times. Finally completed them, and I was the 2nd last one to leave this time. I thanked him for taking our class, and he also wished me all the best. Although I do not know him well, he's still a part of my TCU memory, and I felt sad to say goodbye. 

On the way out, a classmate of mine whom I've never spoken before randomly asked me how the exam went. It was his last paper, and I felt happy for that random stranger. Then I felt sad again, for he was sucha nice guy, yet I never took the time to really get to know him, or any of my classmates. There is this girl I always smile to, and right before she left, we exchanged smiles (because it was under exam conditions) and I guess that is sorta our goodbye to each other as well. So many goodbyes, I'm not liking this feeling.. 

 Met S for dinner, market square, my second last dinner at market square, yet another goodbye. This is more painful than I thought. Headed back to her place, and then to the library again but I didn't last long. My power nap was useless, and so here I am, trying to release all that stress and tension today to get ready for my final studying day tomorrow. In a way, I'm glad my Friday paper's in the morning, so I get the afternoon off! MOVIES~ 

Watched trailers while waiting for S, and there are so many great movies coming up I can't wait:

1. MIB 3
2. Ted
3. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
4. The Dark Knight Rises
5. Snow White and the Huntsman (this one I'm really looking forward to it) 


And.... off to bed!


chhhhhyeah!



No comments: